Wednesday 28 September 2016

LICHEN WHERE I WALK

Lichen Where I Walk
Lichens of the North Woods by Joe Walewski… a field guide to 111 northern Lichens. Published by Kellath + Stensaas, Duluth MN 2007.  Purchased from Amazon last week and I had to wait for the rain to stop to go looking with my camera. As it was a shower caught me.
Map shows greater density of growth around Superior the farther West you travel from Wawa to about Two Harbors. The Lower shore from Duluth to Agawa is moderate to low.
North America has 3600 species of lichen and our North Woods more than 700 of those.
Isle Royal has over 600 species of lichen so Joe considers it a   “hot spot”.
This field guide sorts the lichens by what they grow on – ground, rock and trees/wood.
I haven't named these lichen. I've got all winter to sort them out.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment