Thursday 2 February 2012

HORSES VS MACHINES

Camp 51 documented the takeover of the machines in the logging industry . The Nipigon Museum Photo Archives was used to show a few examples.



Truck hauling sleighs of wood





Who you gonna call?





Horses Rule

Trying to cross Lake Helen




When the lakes and rivers were frozen, no problem.




The caption on this photo had read "Out to Lunch"



At one time Tansley had 14 bull-dozer  operators.

K.C. ..." My earliest memories of Nipigon are very brief, I think it was 1948 but it might have been 1949 when I came here and I just had a brief visit to Nipigon then because my grandfather was a large scale farmer in Southern Ontario. He used to have about more than twelve teams of horses on his farm so in the winter time he didn't need all of the horses and it wasn't good for them just to stand in the barn not working. So, anyway, he used to bring them north to work in the bush camps so he always liked his horses and he looked after them good. He wouldn't just ship them up to anyone so he'd accompany them by train. I accompanied him one time up here and he delivered them to the contractor and his name was Sam Hughes. He knew him enough to know that he would look after his horses well. I can remember it was across from the present day Petro Canada, there was a place that was kind of like a large farm there and I think it used to be like a horse exchange. Those places used to be all over the place back then when logging was done by horses. Horses didn't last very long in the bush other than the best contractor's who looked after them. Many of them died in the harvest which was why my grandfather came up with his horses."


No comments:

Post a Comment